My interest for the RC hobby started with flying Quadcopters and drones – must admit that the drone hobby more or less has turned into an addiction.
In the past years both my local RC hobby shop and sites such as Banggood has received a hefty sum from my bank account 🙂
Recently I bought a cheap WLToys A959 toy rc car for my daughter since she showed some genuine interest in the hobby. The A959 is a pretty good 1:18 RC beginner car with a standard 380/390 brushed motor, real 4wd drive and double differentials.
My daughter really enjoys the A959 RC car, it drives very fast and isn’t easily broken either. As a dad I must admit that the rc engine blew up when I tried powering the WLToys A959 with a 3S lipo – this setup was not compatible (doh!).
Luckily the spare parts can be found on eBay and you can even upgrade to a metal parts and chassis.
So I decided that I needed to buy my own buggy or RC truck – since it is a fun activity to share your children. I started looking at various models and reviews at rcgroups.com – and after some time the potential cars was narrowed down to the following:
- JLB Racing CHEETAH 1/10 Brushless (click to buy)
- Pros: Really powerful and a brushless setup
- Pros: Still a car that I desire
- Cons: Expensive for a family dad
- Stealth x09 Brushless
- Pros: Cheap and powerful
- Cons: Does low price mean low quality?
- HBX Survivor
- Pros: Many rc users claims this is a good car to start with
- Cons: Seems outdated
- HBX Thruster (click to buy)
- Pros: Very cheap
- Pros: A development of the survivor
- Pros: Decent reviews from many users
- Pros: Metal differential and 2 gears
- Cons: Brushed motor
- Cons: Many plastic parts
After reading a lot of different reviews and watching test runs on YouTube – I finally decided to buy the awesome haiboxing HBX Thruster which a direct upgrade of the original Survivor.
The Thruster 12891 is a remote-controlled car in scale 1:12 with 4-wheel drive, oil shock absorbers, waterproof electronics and 2 gears! The perfect remote-controlled car for a beginner like me who wants the best of the best.
- Many different and vibrant colors on the body
- Cool rims with silver finish
- Upgraded front suspension with metal parts and hinges
- More precise gear shifting
- Upgraded and reinforced plastic mix on many parts
- Metal differential gears, rear and front
You can switch between high and low gearing directly from the transmitter.
The low gearing is for grass courses and obstacles – High gearing is best on solid surfaces for higher top speed. And wow that handling is great.
You can even drive in the nighttime since the Thruster comes with 2 powerful LED front lights and 4 LED projectors on the roof – it looks awesome!
Thruster is delivered incl. 2.4GHz radio transmitter, powerful LIPO battery pack and charger. You only need 2 x AA batteries for the radio transmitter to run.
The Thruster is definitely worth the price and you will not be disappointed with this RC car. Of course you get what you pay so don’t expect Traxxas quality.